News

Crime

Ten die in Afghan education office attack

PUNJAB NEWSLINE NETWORK
July 11, 2018 05:10 PM

KABUL: At least 10 people were killed and many others injured in an attack on Wednesday on an education department office in Afghanistan's Jalalabad, an assault that security forces ended after several hours of fighting.

"In this attack so far 10 people are killed and 10 more injured. More details will be shared later," said the Nangarhar province governor spokesperson Attaullah Khogyani who did not provide details on the number of attackers.

Khogyani said the clashes had begun at 9.30 a.m. in western Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar. During the assault, several workers were trapped inside the building, Khogyani confirmed to the Efe news.

In June, four rebels were killed and 10 civilians wounded in an attack on the provincial headquarters of the education ministry in Jalalabad, although the building targeted on Wednesday belongs to the city's education office.

Until now, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack in Nangarhar, a hotbed for militant groups, including the Taliban and the Islamic State.

This is the third major attack in the city this month, and comes a day after at least 11 people were killed and four others wounded in a suicide attack on a security check-post.

On July 1, 19 people - mostly from the minority Hindu and Sikh communities - were killed and 21 wounded in a suicide attack, which coincided with a visit by President Ashraf Ghani.

Copyright © 2017, Punjab Newsline, All rights reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy
Download Mobile App